Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Lenten Devotional reading

A Boy At the Crucifixion
By Larry Linville

I sat upon his knee when I was small.
He was so kind even though he was tall.
“You must be like a child” he said so loud
and it made an impression on the crowd.

I followed him because he was so kind
and watched him when he healed the sick and blind.
I ran beside him with palm branch in hand
and felt important in the joyful band.

It’s hard for a small boy to understand
how the people could make such a demand
to ask old Pilate to crucify him
and undertake action that was so grim.

I held the hand of his mother so dear
as I looked at her as she shed a tear
when he told John to love her as a son
and their new relationship was begun.

When I was older I told my small boy
how the haters thought that they could destroy
his wondrous love by all their rejection
but he answered with the resurrection.

© Copyright 2008 Larry Linville (UN: larrylinville at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Larry Linville has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

Pastor Linville,
Really nice poem........it flows.......and it rhymes! I am old fashioned and like poems to rhyme so you just got an A+!

Lisa