Friday, February 27, 2009

Lenten Devotional reading

I will try to add serveral poems from my book as a source for your devotional reading during the lented season. I may not make one every day but I'll do my best. If you have a friend who does not have a computer, why not download the poems and share with them for their devotional reading?

Pastor Larry


Giving Up or Adding To?
Larry Linville

What are you giving up for Lent
they ask with great expectation.
Such a negative question
leaves me with a great frustration.

They give up candy and other sweets
and even things they hate to eat.
The more they hate these dreadful foods
the more they are sure not to cheat.

What’s to gain by this silly approach
that helps us to grow during Lent
running around telling everyone
about giving up things we lament?

Wouldn’t it help to grow in our faith
if we added good things to our life
like doing those kind acts to others
which seems to bring end to much strife?

An act of kindness to others around
should help our devotion to grow
with our hearts doing useful things
which allow God great love to flow.

Don’t ask me what I’m giving up
but ask what extra I’m doing
and pray as I tackle my list
of kind acts I am pursuing.

© Copyright 2008 Larry Linville (UN: larrylinville at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Larry Linville has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.

No comments: