Saturday, March 14, 2009

Lenten Devotional reading

Jesus Upset My Table
By Larry Linville

The great Passover time was drawing near.
A very profitable time of year.
My chance of making much money was great
so I sold everything to improve my fate.

Hundreds of pigeons at my temple stall
made it look like I was at a big mall.
The early crowd came with money in hand.
My profits were growing just like I planned
when this guy burst in and started to yell
upsetting my table and raising hell.
He shouted words about a den of thieves
and freed my pigeons and rolled up his sleeves.

My pigeons all flew to freedom out side.
My anger boiled up and made me decide
I would follow him as he was leavin’
and find a time when I could get even.

I followed after him throughout the week
listening to every word he did speak.
He said that anger can ruin one’s life
and he said that love could help in our stife.

But I joined those with their fists in the air
shouting “Crucify him! Kill him I swear.”
Up to Golgotha I followed this guy
and he looked right at me and said, “Don’t cry!”

Just then I looked up and there in the sky
where my pigeons had just started to fly.
Somehow I felt he sent them all my way
for some message he had wanted to say.

A second chance he was giving to me
so just like my pigeons I could be free.
Down from Golgotha I led all the birds
following as I said special words.

Out in the open I watched them go freeand
a new freedom was given to me.
I took all the things I heard that man say
and lived my life a different way.

© Copyright 2008 Larry Linville (UN: larrylinville at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Larry Linville has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.

No comments: