Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Lenten Devotional reading

I Made The Three Nails
By Larry Linville

A Roman soldier came into my shop
and told me that I must come to a stop.
He had a big special order for me.
Make the roughest nails and he wanted three.

He said to be sure they were very rough
for this guy who hadn’t suffered enough.
I must admit that I’m good at my craft
and I could help give this fellow the shaft.

Later in the day I went out to see
the guy who would suffer because of me.
I watched as they drove my nails in his skin
and some of his blood gushed out on my chin.

Just at that moment his eyes looked at me
and his forgiveness was all I could see
I stood with people and watched him die
and constantly wiped a tear from my eye.

“forgive them they don’t know what they have done”
was his prayer I heard and wanted to run.
My legs wouldn’t move so I looked above
and his eyes seemed to tell me of his love.

Both hurting and healing at the same time
I grieved that I was part of the crime.
By my good work he was nailed to a tree
but his death gave true life to you and me.

© Copyright 2008 Larry Linville (UN: larrylinville at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Larry Linville has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.

No comments: